Dublin: arrests after police attacked outside hotel housing asylum seekers
Nearly 300 members of An Garda Siochana were on duty in response to the public disorder
Six people were arrested after police were attacked with bricks, bottles and fireworks outside a hotel in Dublin which is being used to accommodate asylum seekers.
Trouble flared last night (Tuesday) after protestors gathered at the Citywest Hotel in Saggart . A Gardai vehicle was also set alight.
The force's public order unit had been deployed to tackle the disorder.
A spokesperson said a Garda helicopter had been targeted with lasers while one of its officers received medical attention for a foot injury.
Condemning the trouble, Taoiseach Micheal Martin said there there could be "no justification" for attacks on gardai.
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly, who visited the scene in the aftermath of the violence, said: "This was obviously not a peaceful protest. The actions this evening can only be described as thuggery. This was a mob intent on violence against Gardai.
"I utterly condemn the attacks on Gardai who did their jobs professionally and with great courage to keep people safe."
He added: "We will now begin the process of identifying those who committed crimes and we will bring those involved in this violence to justice."
As he spoke with gardai close to the charred remains of the burned out Garda van just after midnight, Commissioner Kelly could be heard telling them how proud he was of their efforts in responding to the disorder.
During the earlier disturbances, a large crowd remained in the area until late in the night and public order officers with shields, and some on horseback, moved protesters back.
A line of gardai prevented the protesters from getting to the hotel.
A number of those involved in the disturbances had their faces covered.
The Luas Red Line services between Belgard and Saggart were suspended ahead of the protest. Later, the glass at the Luas stop at Saggart was smashed.
Nearly 300 members of An Garda Siochana were on duty in response to public disorder in Dublin.
This included more than 125 uniformed gardai, 150 members of the public order unit and a water cannon, as well as the mounted and dog units supported by members in the Air Support Unit and the Regional Control rooms.
The public order units were deployed in full protective equipment and utilised pepper spray to "repel sustained physical attacks".
A senior investigating officer has been appointed to probe the incident.
It was the second night in a row a protest has been held outside the hotel, which is being used as state accommodation for people seeking international protection.
Monday night's demonstration passed without significant incident.
The gatherings outside the hotel come after an alleged sexual assault in the vicinity in the early hours of Monday morning.
Mr Martin said he had been briefed on the violence.
In a statement, the Taoiseach said: "I strongly condemn the violent disorder that unfolded in Citywest in Dublin this evening.
"I pay tribute to the frontline gardai who acted courageously and quickly to restore order.
"The Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner have briefed me on the operation, and I thank everyone for their work.
"An Garda Siochana protect us all and have a proud tradition of service to the Irish people.
"There can be no justification for the vile abuse against them, or the attempted assaults and attacks on members of the force that will shock all right-thinking people."
Ireland's deputy premier Simon Harris said there was "no excuse" for the violent "thuggery" witnessed outside the hotel.
"I condemn the violent attacks on members of An Garda Siochana outside Citywest last night," said the Tanaiste.
"There is understandable shock and horror right across our country over the alleged incident that is now before the courts. The full facts must and will be established as people rightly expect.
"But there is no excuse for this type of violence and thuggery against the men and women who serve to protect us and victims of crime every day."
Ireland's Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan has said those involved in the violence will be brought to justice.
He said: "The scenes of public disorder we have witnessed at Citywest tonight must be condemned.
"People threw missiles at gardai, threw fireworks at them and set a Garda vehicle on fire.
"This is unacceptable and will result in a forceful response from the gardai.
"Those involved will be brought to justice."
The minister said a man had been arrested and appeared in court in relation to the alleged assault.
He added: "While I am not in a position to comment any further on this criminal investigation, I have been advised that there is no ongoing threat to public safety in the area.
"Unfortunately, the weaponising of a crime by people who wish to sow dissent in our society is not unexpected.
"The gardai are prepared for this, but attacking gardai and property is not an answer, and won't help to make anyone feel safe.
"It is clear to me from talking to colleagues during the day and this evening that this violence does not reflect the people of Saggart.
"They are not the people participating in this criminality, but rather the people sitting at home in fear of it."
Mr O'Callaghan said attacks on gardai will "not be tolerated".
He added: "Peaceful protest is a cornerstone of our democracy. Violence is not.
"There is no excuse for the scenes we have witnessed tonight."