Northumberland boy accused of terror plot unable to continue giving evidence, judge says
The case, at Leeds Crown Court, has been adjourned until tomorrow
A teenage boy accused of plotting a terror attack on local synagogues was not fit enough to continue giving evidence on Thursday, jurors have been told.
The 16-year-old, who cannot be identified by the media, felt unwell while in the witness box at Leeds Crown Court.
After the lunch adjournment, Mr Justice Wall told jurors that the boy will receive medical treatment with the hope that he will be well enough to return on Friday.
The judge said: "He doesn't appear to be fit enough to carry on today.
"He will be taken away to somewhere he can hopefully see a doctor or a nurse this afternoon with the hope we can continue tomorrow."
Jurors were told previously that police found an "arsenal" of weapons, including a crossbow, knives and a gas-powered air pistol when the anti-terror officers raided his home in Northumberland.
Home-made explosives were also discovered during the raid last February, jurors have previously been told.
The teenager denies preparing acts of terrorism, being a member of a proscribed organisation - a neo-Nazi group - as well as possessing terror documents and publishing terror publications.
The prosecution has shown the jury images of the boy's bedroom, in which counter-terror police found a replica SS-style cap, a full-sized skeleton with a mask and posters in support of the neo-Nazi group.
On Thursday morning, the boy became upset when he was questioned about his childhood by Frida Hussain KC, defending.
He said there were times when he felt lonely, how he suffered bullying at secondary school and how he struggled to find friends.
The defendant said he had interests in "history, the military, weapons and wars, gaming and the outdoors in general".
Ms Hussain asked: "What aspects of weapons and war were you interested in?"
He replied: "How they actually work. The history of their use.
"With wars it was why they were being fought, who was fighting them and why."
He was interested in bushcraft and he possessed knives for whittling wood, he said.
The teenager said he had put together chemicals with the aim of making a rocket-type firework, but he had not completed it.
He discussed how racist and gore videos were shared on Snapchat with pupils at his school.
Asked if he joined in using racist terms with them online, he said: "Not because I had those views."
He added: "I knew it was bad, I tried to ignore it."
He agreed with Ms Hussain that he tried to fit in with others, saying: "I feel like I act different to other people."
He said at the time of his arrest, he had never interacted with a black person to any extent.
The teenager is said to have watched terror attack videos then looked up synagogues in the Newcastle area.
Previously, Ms Hussain has told the jury that the boy denied "he ever actually intended to carry out any act of terrorism" and that they needed to consider his life experience.
The trial continues on Friday.