Police investigating the murder of a man in Newark believe he may have been injured before he died
The victim fell ill behind the wheel on Lombard Street on Monday
Detectives believe a man who fell ill while driving may have been injured in a fight in Newark before he died.
Police launched a murder inquiry on Monday.
It's after the injured man had to pull over his vehicle and needed urgent treatment at the roadside, just before 5pm that day.
Despite the best efforts of the responding emergency services, the driver was pronounced dead at the scene shortly afterwards.
Officers say that the victim may have sustained injuries in a fight that's reported to have taken place close to Albert Street.
The man sustained injuries in a separate incident, which detectives believe contributed to his condition deteriorating while behind the wheel
A murder investigation was launched based on this, with police conducting extensive CCTV and house to house inquiries in the days that followed.
Police have since been made aware of a potential fight that reportedly happened on or close to Albert Street, Newark, around 4pm on Monday.
Detectives are currently working to the theory that the unnamed man could’ve sustained injuries in that incident that ultimately led to him losing his life.
Police are now appealing for anyone who was in the Albert Street area at that time and saw what happened, or who has any information, to come forward.
This could include sharing any CCTV, mobile phone, doorbell, or dash-cam footage that might have inadvertently captured what happened.
Detective Chief Inspector Ruby Burrow, of Nottinghamshire Police, said:
“The victim’s family continues to be supported by specially trained officers and has requested privacy at this difficult time.
“We currently suspect the man sustained the injuries that led to his death in a separate incident that same day.
“At this stage, we believe this may have happened during a potential fight in the Albert Street area about an hour earlier.
“Due to the time of day and the area’s location close to Newark town centre, there is a strong chance that someone will have seen something happen.
“If that was you and you haven’t done so yet, it is essential that you report this information to the police.
“Likewise, we’d ask that anyone who lives, works, or travelled through this area around 4pm on Monday reviews any camera footage they have.
“As I’ve said before, any piece of information, however small or insignificant it might seem, could make the difference in helping us solve a case like this.”
A 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder earlier this week remains in police custody.
Meanwhile, a 37-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl have been released on conditional bail, having both been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.