Councillors are calling for urgent reforms to the care system, following £10m bill
Some private companies are charging almost £8,000 a week per child.
The care system needs to be urgently overhauled to prevent private companies “profiting on the misfortune” of Dumfries and Galloway children, councillors have argued.
Elected members hit out last week after it was revealed that the bill for placing children in residential care homes this year is approaching the £10m mark for Dumfries and Galloway Council.
With a lack of facilities here, private providers outwith the region are charging scandalous amounts of between £4,095 and £7,824 a week per child/young person – which is the basic rate without additional costs.
Speaking at the council’s social work committee last Thursday, Lochar Councillor Linda Dorward said: “It’s morally wrong to profit from looking after children.”
Councillor Maureen Johnstone, who also serves the Lochar ward, added: “I absolutely abhorr the fact that private companies are making money and profit out of the misfortune of children.”
A report was tabled at last week’s meeting detailing the rising costs of residential placements, coupled with increasing numbers of kids requiring this care.
The local authority’s social work bosses are trying desperately to bring down costs, whilst also juggling their duty and demands for residential placements.
It was forecast that 28 children and young people would require residential kids’ home support this year at a cost of £8.52m.
However, within the first three months of this year, that figured had reached 33 – and the estimated fees had risen to £9.49m.
Council chiefs are prioritising the welfare of youngsters in care, but the current system is resulting in costs increasing at an alarming rate year on year.
Councillor Dorward, the Labour Group depute leader, tabled a motion, seconded by North West Dumfries Councillor Emma Jordan, which called on the council to write to the Scottish Government demanding an urgent review of children’s residential care home provision in Scotland.
This included a demand that care home provision is in a child’s local authority area and provided by a not for profit organisation.
The Scottish Government is currently progressing with The Care Experienced Children Services Bill, which is at the consultation stage at the moment.
Lochar Councillor Maureen Johnstone, of the Conservatives Group, said: “I absolutely abhorr the fact that private companies are making money and profit out of the misfortune of children.
“I also note that we keep sending letters to the Scottish Government – but what do they actually achieve?
“What do we get back from them? Do they actually listen to us?”
Dee and Glenkens Councillor Andy McFarlane, chairman of the social work committee, replied: “We do get responses. How much difference it makes is really down to individual interpretation I would suggest.”
Annandale South Councillor George Jamieson said: “I do believe, having been involved in these things before in another scenario, that these are read and they’re noted – and adds to the persuasive nature of policy-making.”
Annandale East and Eskdale Councillor Denis Male said: “While I understand what’s been said, we’re hearing that there’s a bill under consultation, and should we not really wait till that consultation’s finished before we then send letters in?
“I can’t see how we can change anything now if the consultation’s ongoing – other than add to the consultation and try and change things that way.”
Following a 10-6 vote, councillors opted not to send the letter to the Scottish Government.