Planned Bank of Scotland closures cause major concerns for councillors

The region could be left with only two Bank of Scotland branches next year.

Banking chiefs have given written assurance it will investigate banking hubs pleas.
Author: Marc McLeanPublished 7th Oct 2025
Last updated 7th Oct 2025

Planned bank closures will be devastating for the region and “discriminate” against elderly and disabled people, it was argued last week.

Abbey Councillor Davie Stitt also hit out at banking bosses, insisting that they “don’t give two hoots” about the public who are set to lose out on vital financial services.

At the beginning of the year, Lloyds Banking Group announced the closure of several Bank of Scotland branches across the UK, including four in Dumfries and Galloway.

The closures are part of a wider plan to shut 136 branches by March 2026, as the bank adapts to the increasing shift towards digital banking.

With some bank closures approaching next month, Dumfries and Galloway councillors last week agreed to write a letter to banking chiefs asking them to reconsider any planned closures.

Councillor Stitt tabled a formal motion on the issue at last Thursday’s full council meeting.

He said: “If all the bank closures go ahead, by March next year Dumfries and Galloway is only going to have two major Bank of Scotlands – Dumfries and Stranraer.

“I know other areas have been deeply affected with bank closures, but if Castle Douglas goes it only leaves one bank in the Stewartry, and that’s the Royal Bank in King Street, Castle Douglas.

“If all stories are right, I don’t think that’ll last much longer either.

“In Dalbeattie, we’ve got no banks. We’ve only got a post office, three ATMs. Kirkcudbright has got a banking hub.

“It’s all right banks describing footfall falling, but unless you’re young and IT-minded – and my Labour group members will tell me I’m not IT-minded – I think older people are discriminated against.”

He added: “The banks just wield a big axe and they don’t give two hoots about the public.

“They’ve got to start respecting the community, whether it’s from Langholm to Stranraer. We have rural communities that they’re denying a valuable service.”

Annandale North Councillor Carolyne Wilson seconded the motion, saying: “These closures primarily impact rural communities, elderly, and businesses who rely on face-to-face services and cash deposit facilities.

“The Bank of Scotland is closing in Moffat. That means people will have to travel 21 miles to the nearest bank which, given the issues we’re having with buses right now, is not easy.”

Councillor Kim Lowe said: “Not everyone has access to, is confident with, or trusts online banking – and face-to-face contact is important.

“For Dalbeattie residents, who were moved to the Castle Douglas branch, that’s now being threatened.

“This leaves one bank and one banking hub for three settlements of 12,000 people, plus the extended rural population in the whole of the Stewartry.”

Castle Douglas and Crocketford Councillor Pauline Drysdale had contacted chiefs at Lloyds Banking – parent company of Bank of Scotland – on behalf of constituents.

She said: “I have got written assurance that the Bank of Scotland will investigate pleas for banking hubs.

“Encouragingly, MSP Finley Carson is meeting LINK (in charge of cash machine network) again tomorrow to discuss and assess banking requirements.”

Mid and Upper Nithsdale Councillor Jim Dempster said: “In Thornhill there is only an outreach post office twice a week and businesses will be very adversely affected if this closure in Thornhill – which is scheduled for November – is carried out.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Greatest Hits Radio app.