Bibby Stockholm leaves Portland Port

The now empty barge, used to house asylum seekers, has been towed away

Picture shows Bibby Stockholm first arriving
Author: Maria GreenwoodPublished 31st Jan 2025
Last updated 31st Jan 2025

The Bibby Stockholm has left Portland Port.

The barge, once used to house asylum seekers, had been moored there for around 18 months.

It was pictured being towed away yesterday (Thursday 30th January).

It was decommissioned by the new Labour Government who said it was too expensive to run, costing £20M a year.

Around 300 men were moved off the barge in October, to be cared for at facilities outside of the county while their asylum claims were processed.

In a statement, Cllr Nick Ireland, Leader of Dorset Council, said:

“We very much welcome the news that the Bibby Stockholm barge has left Portland Port.

“Looking back, although the barge was imposed on us, I think we can be proud of how our local community acted with humanity and compassion to help and support the residents.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.