PCC praises victim of former officer who was jailed for rape
Alison Hernandez is praising the victim of a former officer - who has been sentenced to eight years behind bars for raping her in his South Devon home
Devon and Cornwall's Police and Crime Commissioner is praising the victim of a former officer - who has been sentenced to eight years behind bars for raping her in his South Devon home.
49-year-old Stuart Mines attacked the victim after inviting her over for Sunday lunch in October 2022.
The woman repeatedly told him 'no' - but despite these calls, he went on to rape her in his befroom.
The man, who is from Chudleigh, denied the charge of rape but was found guilty by a jury following a trial at Exeter Crown Court in February.
He was later dismissed from the police force.
He was sentenced to eight years in prison on Wednesday (April 2) - when the judge also put him on the Sex Offenders register for life.
Mines is also subject to an order preventing him from contacting the victim.
'All victims of rape and serious sexual offences will always be believed'
Alison Hernandez, Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, said: “Police officers who abuse their position of trust to commit such despicable crimes are a disgrace to the force and the Chief Constable will continue to use the full force of the law to bring them to justice.
“I would like to thank the victim who found the strength to report this man when her faith in policing had been abused and destroyed. Many women who experience sexual violence are unable to or don’t want to report to police, and I hope this significant sentence will give reassurance that people who commit such vile acts can and will be caught and severely punished.
“The hard work of the police officers who brought Mines to justice is a credit to our force and will send a message to all victims of rape and serious sexual offences that they will always be believed.
“Violence against women and girls is an epidemic in our society and I am committed to identifying radical solutions to stamp out such abhorrent behaviour and keep people safe in homes and on the streets of Devon and Cornwall.”
An Accelerated Misconduct Hearing chaired by Chief Constable James Vaughan on March 12 found Mines culpable of gross misconduct. He was dismissed without notice and placed on the College of Policing Barred List.
The Police and Crime Commissioner’s office will continue to monitor and support efforts to tackle sexual violence and misconduct within policing, ensuring that public trust is restored and upheld.
Support is available.
You can contact the National Rape Crisis Helpline on 0808 802 9999, the Victim Care Unit (Devon and Cornwall) on 01392 475900 or on their website, and alternatively the Devon and Cornwall Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) on 0300 3034626.