Three women whose bodies recovered from sea off Brighton beach identified as sisters

Their father has released a tribute as police continue investigations

Jane, Christina and Rebecca as teenagers
Author: Poppi AndelinPublished 20th May 2026
Last updated 21st May 2026

Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have now been formally identified as sisters by authorities.

Emergency services were called to the shoreline near Black Rock car park on Madeira Drive at approximately 5.45am on Wednesday 13 May, after reports that three bodies had been found in the water nearby.

Following extensive inquiries, police confirmed the women as 36-year-old Jane Adetoro, 32-year-old Christina Walters, and 31-year-old Rebecca Walters. The three were sisters from the Uxbridge area of London.

Their next of kin are being supported by specialist officers, as investigations continue and families are assisted during what authorities have described as an extremely difficult time.

In a tribute their father, Joseph said:

"Today, with a heart full of sorrow and love, I pay tribute to my beloved daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky — whose lives ended so tragically far too soon.

"No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.

"Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful. Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.

"Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went. You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed.

"The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.

"Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, our prayers, and our memories.

"Rest peacefully, my precious daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky. You may be gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.

"Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered."

Police continue their investigations

An investigation is continuing into how the three women came to be in the water off Brighton beach.

Police said there is currently no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality. However, specialist detectives are continuing to work to establish the full circumstances surrounding their deaths.

As part of the inquiry, officers have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage and carried out extensive enquiries at properties and businesses in the area near the beach. They are also working with partner agencies in Brighton and London in an effort to trace the women’s last known movements.

Authorities are now appealing for the public’s help. Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to come forward, particularly those who may have seen the three women in the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday 12 May and 5.30am on Wednesday 13 May.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove said: “The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.

“I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.

“This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio 60s on DAB, smartspeaker, online, and on the Rayo app.